Monday, January 16, 2012

A Very Special Lovespoon!

My son “C” has been dating a lovely young lady who from Monchengladbach, Germany.  That is just west Dusseldorf and just east of the border with Holland.  “G” – her name for our purposes here -- was back home for the Holidays and “C” flew over to visit and popped the question.  So, it looks like we’re going to have a brand new Daughter in our family!  My wife and I are delighted!

Before he left, I carved a spoon for him to take along as a Christmas Present for her parents.  This one is not an original design – again, it is one that I have mined out of the Internet -- but I think is a very nice, delicate design.

“G” has already received a spoon from me so she “knows” my rules:  “Anyone who gets a spoon has to send back a picture of it hanging up.”  With typical Germany efficiency, she made sure that the spoon was promptly hung up and that “C” had the picture to bring back with him.  Good girl!

To “G’s Parents”: ”Fröhliche Weinachten!   We hope to meet you soon.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, and congratulations to your son! Looks a lot like a David Western design - was that the inspiration? Nice finish, and bowl shape. A very lovely gift, indeed!

Carvin' Tom said...

Thank you for the nice comments.

The design "could" be one of his. I have mined a lot of designs off the Internet over the years and by this time I really don't know whose is whose. If I infringe in any way, I am sorry. But I take the position that 1) it wasn't sold and that 2) imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The reason why I selected this particular design was that I had just seen it at the Dayton Woodcarver's show last fall. I think it won a prize.

The finish is just 3 coats of sanding sealer with a light sanding with 320 between coats. I then buff it off with 0000 steel wool and give it a coat of Carnuba (sp?) wax. It feels like glass when I am done.