Monday, September 9, 2013

And so the Painting Begins...

Here is a shot of the initial painting of the revolver.  I wasn't all that pleased with the color and texture of the metal parts of my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor Rifle and I vowed that this time my results would be better.


1861 Remington Revolver


The acrylic paint that I used on the rifle looked "OK"...It looked "old"...which is what I was going for but, to me, it didn't look all that "metallic".  The finish just looked like it had been "piled on", which it had been since it was the result of many,many washes of all sorts of colors.

This time, I took the unpainted revolver with me to discuss the paint selection with the guy at my favorite hobby store to see what he would suggest.  He recommended a 2-step, Spray-on laquer from Testors to make it look more like metal.  The first coat was Number 1454 "Titanium" ModelMaster Buffing Metalizer.  Since this was going to be an "all-or-nothing" kind of procedure, it required a lot of thinking, quiet meditation and instruction-reading before I was ready to commit to the paint application.  I didn't want to ruin my work so far.  Finally, I decided that if this methodology didn't work out, I was no worse off than I was the last time.  So I took the plunge!

At first, I was more than just a bit disappointed when I saw the results...the finish looked way too flat...not much of an improvement over the acrylic..."Oh great!",I thought.

However, the hobby store guy made a point of telling me that this paint requires "buffing" to bring out the shine.  Sure enough, once it was dry -- only about 10 minutes -- just a few minutes of buffing with a Facial Tissue and it began to shine just the way I hoped it would -- "old and shiny":--)  The second step is essentially a "clear coat" (Testor's 1459) to seal and protect it.

I still have to paint the trigger guard an antique brass color and finalize the color and finish on the handles, but after what happened today those things should be a piece of cake!

'Til next time...Keep makin' Chips and following those painting instructions!

No comments: