Saturday, April 28, 2012

C and G's Lovespoon


C and G's Lovespoon
Here’s another spoon that I have been sitting on this one for months.  But now, the gift has been given so I can finally go ahead and let everyone else in on the details.

Those of you who are regular readers of my blog are probably aware of my son’s, “C”, upcoming summer nuptials to a lovely young lady, “G”, from Germany.  “G ist meine neu Deutsche Tochter” i.e., “my new German Daughter”.  She is the one who so quickly and efficiently “paid” me for her spoon (see: http://carvintom.blogspot.com/2011/08/flowered-spoon.html) with a photo.  That is my going rate for all gift spoons.  Soon after Christmas, I also posted a photo of the spoon (see: http://carvintom.blogspot.com/2012/01/very-special-lovespoon.html) that I carved for her parents who live in Mönchengladbach in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.  This spoon, as well, was promptly “paid for” with a picture of it hanging in “G’s” parent’s house.

Almost as soon as I knew “they” were “official”, I started scratching my head for ideas for their Lovespoon.  This was a tough one.  Somehow I wanted to celebrate the fact that two families and, by extension, two countries were establishing a bond, without making an overly sentimental fuss.

Note to Self: Is it even possible to talk about a Lovespoon, which is by definition a manifestation of sentimentality without making a overly sentimental fuss?...hmmm…yet another fine subject to ponder whilst carving. :--)

I finally decided on two crossed flags at the top of the spoon: the triple-barred German flag to the left and the US flag to the right (I think that is proper US flag etiquette).  And I’ll save you the trouble of counting…Yes. The US flag is severely deficient in stars, but I only had so much room.  It is meant to be symbolic:--)

As is often the case, the initials themselves did not provide sufficient structural strength to suit me.  I went through a number of design revisions before I finally settled on the heart that frames the initials while providing the additional structural integrity I was looking for.

Since they are just newly engaged, I added the two interlocked rings in the bowl.

One for the Bench:

"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip.” - Jonathan Carroll

‘Til next time…keep makin’ chips!

1 comment: